Educating Traumatized Children Summit 2014
Our Summit was a huge success!
Recordings & Transcripts Available
Order Summit Recordings, Transcripts, and Continuing Ed Packages through our STORE.
In October 2014, ATN aired 23 interviews over 11 days to exploring the topic of Trauma Sensitive Schools and how to help traumatized children success in schools. Teachers, therapists, administrators and parents have all found this series helpful in working with children of trauma.
The experts who were interviewed gave examples of some very exciting programs and strategies being implemented across the United States. The entire summit as audio recordings (mp3) and/or transcripts are available for purchase as a download or sent to you on flash drive.
Listen to Dr. Anda’s opening remarks right now:
Dr. Robert Anda, co-founder of ACE Study
Interviewer: Anna Paravano, MS, ATN Education Director
Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) impact far more people…far more children…than we think. Dr. Robert Anda, a co-founder of the ACE Study will explain to us how their research into early childhood adversities has illuminated the nation’s largest predictor of long-term health problems and what this means for schools and educating traumatized and at-risk children. Dr. Anda explains why it’s imperative that school systems become Trauma Sensitive.
ATN Summit Speakers
(in alphabetical order):
- Jen Alexander, MA, nationally certified school counselor
- Robert Anda, MD, co-founder of the Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) Study
- Patsy Anthony, teacher and EFT practitioner
- Robert Burroughs,Ph.D, Academic Director for CALO
- Chris Bye, MS, co-founder of MeMoves
- Susan Craig, Ph.D., teacher, consultant and author of “Reaching and Teaching Children who Hurt”
- Lark Eshleman, Ph.D., trauma therapist, former school principal, counselor and librarian
- Heather Forbes, LCSW, Beyond Consequences Institute, and author of “Help for Billy”
- Jenny Kendall, Head of Special Programs for K12.com
- Wendy Klimbal, MS,special education advocate, teacher and adoptive mom
- Megan Marcus,M.A., M.Ed., founder and CEO of FuelEd Schools
- Ann McMahon, Ph.D., engineer and educator
- Jody McVittie, MD, founder of SoundDiscipline.org
- Christine Moers, therapeutic parent and parenting coach
- Brice Palmer, special education advocate
- Susan Reedy, TRM/CRM trainer, Trauma Resource Institute
- Joel Ristuccia, co-author “Helping Traumatized Children Learn” – www.traumasensitiveschools.org
- Melissa Sadin, MS, special education consultant, school administrator and adoptive mom
- Roberta Scherf, co-founder of MeMoves
- Avis Smith, LCSW, Director of Trauma Smart program at Crittenton Children’s Center
- Lawrence Smith, LCSW-C, founder of AttachmentDisorderMaryland.com
- Jane Ellen Stevens, founder/editor of ACEsTooHigh.com and ACEsConnection.com
- Barb Trader,MS, Executive Director of TASH
- Trauma Sensitive Schools
- The Impact of Trauma on the Brain’s Ability to Learn
- How to Recognize Children with Attachment Disorders in Your Classroom
- Teaching Self-Regulation
- The School Counselor’s Role
- Trauma Smart Preschools
- Using Engineering Education to Teach Empathy
- Is it ADHD or Trauma?
- Virtual Schooling as an Attachment-Focused Option
- Alternative Approaches to Teaching Those with Attachment Trauma
- Reducing Restraints & Seclusion by Using Trauma-Informed Practices
- Special Education Basics